Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Loss

I was about to write about my own personal little loss, and it sounds so lame considering that today is the 11th anniversary of the attacks on our country.  Today was an odd one.  Last year was so monumental, so salient with all of the memorials and reflection.  Everything came flooding back from that morning, those days, the before and the after.  It was all we saw and talked about, a big shadow that loomed and left the day heavy. 
Perhaps it is because I worked today.  Perhaps it is because the tenth anniversary is behind us and it left some relief in its wake.  Perhaps it is simply too far away to touch me today.  Whatever happened, every time I wrote the date it jarred me.  It was a little reminder that my world will never be the same, never be as safe.  It was also an oddly normal day.  There was no fanfare in my world, no quite and sorrow.  It was every other day.  It was weird. 

Last weekend I got a new car.  I had to say goodbye to my before, to the car that I learned to drive in.  After 12 years, I had to let go of so much as I handed over the keys.  My new car is reliable and wonderful, but it was bittersweet.  I took pictures to remember it by, every little detail: my steering wheel, worn where I hold it, my license plate, my high school parking permit that will never come out.  Then I lost my camera.
Luckily I have been blogging and uploading pictures weekly, so that is really all that was lost.  Nevertheless, it was really sad for me to lose the memory of my car.  It was something to hold onto, something to look back on, and it disappeared.
All of this is to say that I won't have pictures for a while.  I will still keep up a (pretty boring) blog, but it will be a while until I can afford a new little camera.  But I do want to remember colors and combos I like, so I'll be keeping my log here.  It will just be much less colorful.

I wanted something bright and easy this week, so I dove into my new BOGO Zoyas that just came.  I went with Starla.  This bright (almost neon) pink has a subtle micro shimmer that dances in the sun.  It was much thinner than I expected, so I started with a base of Sinful Colors Snow Me White.  I used three coats of Starla and then added two coats of Nubar Black Polka Dots over the top.  I love black glitter!  To set off the pink, I used two coats of Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Black Out on its own on my ring fingers as an accent.  Then, to amp up the shine, I used a thick coat of Hoof Lacquer.
I am really enjoying the bright shimmer/glitter with a dark cream accent.  I have some extra days off this week, so I think that I will need to play with some new additions to my collection (hello Butter London BOGO!) but I really like this one right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment