Saturday, October 13, 2012

31DC: Animal Print

Now things are starting to get a bit tricky for me.  It's challenges like today that make me feel in over my head, but that's sorta the point, isn't it?
I'm not big into animal prints, so I was coming up blank for this one.  I really couldn't think of something to do when I looked over and saw my faithful friend sitting next to me on my bed. 


I got Nicky for my 4th birthday, which means that she's now...well, in her early twenties.  She's been everywhere with me, from sleepovers and doctors' visits to college and beyond.  She may not have aged gracefully, but that's okay.  She folds up perfectly to fit in the crook of my arm when I sleep (not that I do that anymore...) and has ears that were made to dry tears.  I wish that this mani was better, because she deserves the best, but I decided to do a little tribute to her for my animal print.  Today has one untried.


*1 coat Yello-Out base
*2 coats Essence Colour & Go Grey-t To Be Here
*China Glaze Elephant Walk
*Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Presto Pink
*1 coat Seche Vite

 
I decided to try sponging polish on to give a "poodle-effect" to my nails.  I started with Grey-t To Be Here, mainly because I was worried it was too light to sponge over Elephant walk.  This pale gray is loaded with pink shimmer and in the sun looks almost purple because of it.  It's really pretty, but not made for my skin tone.  Oh well, I'm over it!
 

I had not tried Elephant Walk yet, but it was a good contrast for Grey-t.  I used a small makeup sponge dabbed in Elephant Walk to texture my nails.  I dabbed it a bit on paper to make sure that it wasn't too thick, but it was pretty easy to get the hang of how much to use.  It's a little weird and not really what I had pictured but I actually like the way that the sponging turned out.  These colors weren't perfect, but I even like the effect hat they had.  It's that stupid bow that speaks for itself...

 
 
I probably should not have chosen a quick-dry polish for art because it got little strings quickly.  It also blobbed up pretty fast too, not leaving a nice, smooth finish.  I wish that I had taken photos without the bow, but what's done is done.  You live and learn, right?  I learned that this little bow was a mistake, but that I like sponging.  I'm excited to try this again with more colors.  More than that, I'm pretty proud that I thought a bit outside of the box for my print.  As the art required for this challenge gets more advanced (I'm looking at you, galaxy nails!) I'll probably have to get a bit creative!  What's your favorite animal print to work with--anything out of the ordinary?

No comments:

Post a Comment