Monday, December 31, 2012

Good riddance, 2012!

I'm now "home" after a wonderful week at Home with my family.  I didn't do much polishing, and what I did do I didn't photograph.  Sorry!  But know that I did have a super-cute Christmas mani (China Glaze Champagne Kisses with Zoya Logan for holly leaves, red rhinestone berries, and a Christmas tree accent, kind of a mash up of many of my previous Christmas looks).  I wanted to do something fun and festive for New Year's Eve, even though I'm all by my lonesome, but was overwhelmed with possibilities.  So, I decided to do what my momma wanted: dark purple with silver glitter.  My momma's kind of the best.  She has been getting into nails lately too, and she said her students love it when she does.  This is what she gave me, all individually wrapped in a big box:



Out of control awesome, right?!  She went through my "want" tab and found a ton of them!  But now she also knows how much some of the things I waste my money on cost...hmmm.
So, I'm going with her New Year's Eve choices tonight.

*1 coat Hard as Nails Hardener
*2 coats OPI Vampsterdam
*China Glaze Fairy Dust
*China Glaze Techno
*1 coat Hoof Lacquer


I used Vampsterdam for the first time for this mani.  I only used 2 coats, and perhaps a 3rd would have made this darker, which was more of what I imagined.  It is a pretty polish, lighter on the nail than in the bottle, a deep raisin purple.  Like any OPI, the application is perfect and the coats build easily. 
I am still unpacking and catching up on some sleep, so I didn't dig out sponges for the glitter.  I just used the brush, concentrating the Fairy Dust fine holo glitter at the cuticle and stroking toward the tips.  I dabbed Techno on top, and then added just a little more thin Fairy Dust toward the tips.  I kind of wish I had sponged the glitter for better blending, but they are still super sparkly and festive!


2012 has been a crapfest of a year for me and my family.  I am more than ready for the clock to strike midnight!  2013: come at me!  I'll see you all on the other side with a brand new challenge (can I make it through another 31 days?) and hopefully a much brighter year.  Until then, be safe and I wish nothing but the best to you and yours as we welcome this new beginning!

3 comments:

  1. I hope that '13 is your lucky number. Have a brilliant 2013!

    I also like your New Year's manicure. I have never tried a glitter looking gradient like this. They always look fantastic.

    I did not bother doing anything in celebration of the new year. I did do one look and it failed and I think I will have another go before I post it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! You always have the sweetest things to say and never fail to make my day. Yes, '13 is going to be lucky--it just has to be!
      "Gradient" is such a scary word to me because I think of blending and color combos, but the couple of glitter ones I have done I've liked because they are WAY less precise. I need some wiggle room with my polish!
      I hope your new year has started off well today and can't wait to see what you've got coming up!

      Delete
    2. How sweet. :) Thank you, I am happy to be able to brighten your day. :)

      For gradients I tend to use a dense make up sponge and they seem to work well. My sponge is dry and that does suck up a lot of polish. Since I have short nails I only use two colours and I apply both of these to the brush. Often I wish I could have longer nails but my nail biting habit put paid to that.

      New Year's Day was nice and quiet for me. I did do the second version of what I wanted to do. It still did not work out how I would have liked but I think that is more due to my artistic failings. I will have to write the post up.

      I think I am writing a novel here...

      Delete