Saturday, January 5, 2013

New 31DC: Purple

Not long ago I went through a purple phase--not wearing, but apparently buying.  I don't know what sparked it, but suddenly I realized that I hadn't bought anything but purple in a while.  It was odd.  I wanted to take tonight to swatch some newbies, but also wanted to do more than a simple coat or two (not that there is ANYTHING wrong with that!  I can get too caught up in "art" or accents or layers and forget often how pretty my polishes are all on their own!).  So, I went with some dots!  This was an inspiration for today.


*1 coat Yello-Out base
*2 coats Zoya Aurora (index, middle and pinkie)
*2 coats China Glaze Gothic Lolita (thumb and ring)
*1 coat Out The Door

I have never done a double accent yet, but decided to go ahead and give it a try.  It's only for one day, right?  Why not!


I used 2 coats of both Aurora and Gothic Lolita for my bases.  Aurora was the darling of the Ornate collection.  I don't know that I am quite as in love with her as others are, but it is a beautiful polish!  It is a warm, deep purple with scattered micro holo glitter/shimmer.  Gothic Lolita is a lighter purple, not quite lavendar, that appears to be a cream but has a subtle, lovely blue shimmer to it.  Both polishes provided good coverage in 2 coats.


I used a medium dotting tip to alternate dots on the nails, Aurora on Gothic Lolita and visa versa.  I was worried that there would not be enough contrast until I saw the photos.  I really like how the dots look with these two!  I sorta wish that I had used a slightly larger dot and done fewer, but that's not a big deal. 


I think that I even like the double-accent look.  I don't know how I'll feel when I try it with colors that contrast more, but I haven't written it off.  Do you do the double accent?  Change up the nail you use?  Hate the trend all together?






2 comments:

  1. I tend to reverse the dots on my ring finger only as an accent, although lately I seem to have gone skittlette mad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard NOT to love a good skittle! Especially when you can't choose one look or color...which happens all the time for me :)

      Delete